A small update on 'make --shuffle' mode
GNU Make --shuffle mode entered upstream git repository \o/.
For testing convenience I also tarballed the development GNU make snapshot from today’s git state: https://slyfox.uni.cx/distfiles/make/make-184.108.40.20620619.tar.lz.
Note that --shuffle is not enabled by default. You can enable it by any of below methods whichever matches best your environment:
- Run make --shuffle. For casual testing.
- Export MAKEFLAGS=--shuffle environment variable. For day-to-day development or distribution-wide testing. It is also a safe value for GNU make that does not yet understand --shuffle option.
- Apply https://slyfox.uni.cx/distfiles/make/make-220.127.116.1120619-random-by-default.patch on top of snapshot tarball. Useful for environments where there is no easy way to pass a parameter to make or to set MAKEFLAGS variable.
Compared to the initial patch announced as a proof of concept there is one extra change: presence of .NOTPARALLEL: directive in a Makefile now disables shuffling in that file.
It was done to accomodate rare projects that rely on execution order specified in Makefile and don’t plan to make dependencies correct in near future. The example is netpbm: https://sourceforge.net/p/netpbm/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/GNUmakefile#l110
A few new bugs were found and/or fixed:
- vim: https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/9978
- groff: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62084
- gpm: https://github.com/telmich/gpm/pull/43
- gnu-efi: https://sourceforge.net/p/gnu-efi/patches/84/
- cmigemo: https://github.com/koron/cmigemo/pull/29
- harvid: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/178647
- subversion: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4901
- ocamlbuild: https://github.com/ocaml/ocamlbuild/pull/318
- ghc(!): https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/8531
- slang: fixed in slang-pre2.3.3-77 snapshot in 5d36d7c2410cbd640470a9c97cc544d257c64660 commit. Could not find web UI for repository.
- strace: https://github.com/strace/strace/pull/215
- ski: https://github.com/trofi/ski/commit/7cc1ced067bf3822ef87c323b6110f38bc0ca1b5
- heimdal: https://github.com/heimdal/heimdal/pull/999
- src-highlite: https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?10262
- gcc: https://gcc.gnu.org/PR106162
- openipmi: https://sourceforge.net/p/openipmi/patches/37/
- avldrums.lv2: https://github.com/x42/avldrums.lv2/pull/22
- exifprobe: https://github.com/hfiguiere/exifprobe/pull/21
Nothing complicated. Just a few missing dependencies.
Give it a try!